Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The First Week

I can hardly believe that I've been here for less than a week. I am already feeling somewhat at home, so that's good. I'm starting to get to know my way around town, and I'm even getting used to the mostly constant cold and rain.

The first couple days here were spent getting to know the other students and the staff of our program. They gave us plenty of time to settle in, explore, and get over our jet lag! I slept soundly the first night out of pure exhaustion, but the next couple nights weren't so great. I would sleep for a couple hours but then wake up and not be able to fall back asleep for about four more hours! However, I have slept through the night for the past two nights. Thank the Lord for being able to stay asleep!

On Saturday, I slept in pretty late but then went exploring with a couple other students, Jake and Chris. We walked into town and saw a little bit of the river as well. We stopped in a couple shops, including Alice's Shop, an Alice in Wonderland themed souvenir type place :) It was a beautiful day to be out and about since the sun was actually shining. We headed back to our house, and later the staff had organized a movie night for all of us. We watched Chicken Run and had Papa John's Pizza!

Sunday was another day that I slept in after a tough night. In the afternoon, I went exploring again, this time with my wonderful roommates: Lisa, Elaine, and Monica.
We had tea time when we got back, and then many of us went to church at St. Ebbes, an evangelical church here in Oxford. The service was very similar to anything y
ou could find in the states, but the building was quite pretty.

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were filled with orientation activities. We started a documentary series on the History of Britain, listened to helpful hints on academic pursuits, and went on a couple of tours. Some of it was
boring, but a lot of it has been interesting. We jump into tutorials (our main classes) starting next week. By next Tuesday, I have to read Jane Eyre, research using several secondary sources, and write a 2,500 word essay. All of that is for one tutorial: Victorian Literature. I will also be working on a Shakespeare tutorial, which meets every other week. My tutor for that one is having a pre-term meeting with all his students at the King's Arm Pub this Friday. It should be interesting. I will also be attending lectures and seminars covering various topics.

I'm really excited to get started on everything. We are also going to London on Saturday for some tourist excitement. I will leave you with a few pictures from here around town.


This is my house, where I live.

This is the library (well, one of them), where I study.

This is the Bridge of Sighs, modeled after a bridge in Venice.

This is the Eagle and Child, the famous pub where the Inklings often hung out.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update Annie! I hope you get your sleep schedule down soon! The place looks beautiful though!

    ReplyDelete